Update and whatnots
Alright here’s the low down of things as they stand today concerning our/my financial woos:
* I applied for gov. assistance and was denied. I was told that my hubby makes too much money—by about 200 dollars—a month to qualify us. Figures….it’s the ol’catch 22.
* I have been able to feed us for two weeks (14days) with three square meals a day and buy necessary living items for around 150 dollars. I say ‘around’ cause I keep forgetting stuff like cat food and toilet paper. I’d say that I’m about 85% of the way there on having it down pat.
* Because I was denied federal assistance, I went to the local food pantry and got some ‘supplies’. The food they gave me (frozen meats, bread, and fresh fruit along with the non-perishable food items) lasted us for awhile. I was able to restock my pantry because of it…which helped immensely. Thank you Mrs. Wanda.
* I also discovered an organization called Angel Food Ministries. They are nation wide and If you’re in need of a little help, they can give it to you. With just thirty dollars you can receive around seventy dollars worth of food—enough food to feed a family of four for almost a month. And it’s all fresh…no out of date can goods, or left overs, or throw-outs. They have fresh meat too and the menu changes each month so you don’t get burnt out with eating chicken all the time. Check it out.
* We took our house off the market. After a year, three months and a few odd days we decided enough was enough. In that time we only had around seven showings and no offers. We’ve decided to take a small amount of our tax refund and put it towards fixing the house up. Nothing major, just updates…like new flooring, counter tops, and maybe some fresh paint on the walls. People have no imagination these days….
* I’ve still gotten nowhere in the photo biz department. I haven’t drummed up any new business and honestly at the moment I’m not really caring. I’m supposed to go on a scouting mission to find ‘cool’ places to take pics at with a friend—-but we’ve also been planning that for months too and it still hasn’t happened. We’re both busy people. I’m thinking of selling them again online. I made a few extra bucks last go around. What do you think?
* we fixed our hot water heater. One of the heating elements went out a week after we bought the house along with the thermostat. That was almost four years ago. I can now use my bathtub and have more than an inch of water in it, but I can’t win for loosing. We got our electric bill in Friday and it had gone up an extra hundred dollars. Figures…take one step forward and two steps back.
* All is not lost. My hubby’s side business of making and machining parts for BMW cars has skyrocketed. He can’t keep the parts in stock. They’re flying off the shelves faster than he can get the material in. Which is great…and he loves making them. No stress involved and it’s bringing in the much needed extra revenue. Yeah! something went right for a change.
*The bill collectors keep calling, but not as often as before. I still don’t answer the phone. “I hear you calling but I’m not picking up!”
* We gave our dog away. Our English bulldog now lives with my mother. We didn’t do it because we couldn’t afford to feed her or anything. It’s just that my mother lives in a bad part of town where there’s a lot of shootings and robberies. My sister doesn’t live next door to her anymore and my dad passed away years back so she’s all alone. Her dog died last year and she was getting a bit lonely and with us living four towns away, we can’t visit as much as we’d like. So now Natasha lives with her—-and she loves it (mom and the dog both). I miss that drooling, hard-headed, aggravating dog.
* Someone suggested that I do the coupon thing to help with the groceries. I hate coupons. They are always for name brand items that I: A) don’t use or B) I can find the no-name/store brand for cheaper even after the coupon is used and I don’t have to buy two of something. Then there is all the clipping out and looking through sale papers and online sites plus the organizing of them. It all makes my head hurt. Does anybody have a coupon for some aspirin?
Well, Adam, hope that brings you up to date. I will keep you guys ( I sound like a Yankee there, didn’t I?) up to date. Thanks for your prayers and concerns.